Flying to Burningman - What you need to know
FAASafety Wings Course
View Wings Directory
Wings / Airport Operations
About this FAASafety Wings Course
Educate new and long-time pilots about the event, how to operate safely in and out of 88NV, and changes for 2022.
- Speaker intro
- What is Burning Man?
- Who should come / not come? Will I be welcome?
- Aviation at Burning Man
- History of the airport
- Purpose, types of operation
- Airport overview
- We are a volunteer-driven airport -- how does it work, how can I help?
- Camping options, food, entertainment, other fun stuff that happens
- Flying at 88NV
- Location, mountain environment, density altitude, weather, etc
- Requirements to fly in (training, ticket, etc)
- ATC info
- Arrival / departure procedures
- Flying the scenic pattern
- Preparing the airplane & pilot, what kinds of a/c are appropriate, dust precautions/cleaning
- Recommended flying technique
- Soft-field technique review + playa specific technique
- Landing technique + illusions
- Specific hazards: distraction, checklists, rapidly changing weather, visibility dust + smoke…
- Q&A + stories/advice from other 88NV pilots